What a tribute to a legendary Italian cook – her recipe included in her obituary in the New York Times.
In Emilio Romagna last summer we had many versions of the pasta from the region she was raised in.
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce
Adapted from “Spoon Fed” by Kim Severson
By KIM SEVERSON
- 2 cups tomatoes, with their juices (for example, a 28-ounce can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
- Combine the tomatoes, their juices, the butter and the onion halves in a saucepan. Add a pinch or two of salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, mashing any large pieces of tomato with a spoon. Add salt as needed.
- Discard the onion before tossing the sauce with pasta. This recipe makes enough sauce for a pound of pasta.
- Let’s make it tonite!